Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Bling Ring; America's Love for the Outlaw


Thursday night I saw #TheBlingRing. Killer wardrobe, and an expertly crafted soundtrack to maximize gluteus bounces. One of the recurring themes in the movie talks about America's predilection for a good "Bonnie and Clyde" story. 

I definitely fit that mold, I can't help but devour a bucket of popcorn as I watch the proverbial train wreck unfold. But, in this case I think it goes a little bit further than a Bonnie and Clyde fixation. There's a certain degree of glamour that comes with breaking free of societal norms, even if that means breaking the law. Robin Hood has been a household name for as long as anyone can remember, and factually, he was a thief. Forgetting who he stole from/for takes away the legitimacy of his legacy. Robin Hood was a rebel, fighting the law for the greater good. Factually, these kids were the same. Stealing from the rich to give to the less fortunate (themselves). I think the part of this story that hooked most people was the irreverence with which the kids conducted themselves once apprehended. They continued to insist they did nothing wrong despite mountains of evidence, and even jail time. I can't deny that I have a certain degree of respect for a group of high school kids with enough balls to look America directly in the face and say "fuck off." They collectively stole upwards of $3 million worth of goods from Hollywood's A-List celebrities, were caught with the stolen goods in their possession, and still tried to save face. Perhaps their false sense of teen invincibility was a tangible reminder of youth for a lot of us, but I think we can't help but tip our hats to those who color outside the lines. Their boldness combined with the fact that they stole from those who had entirely too much to begin with endeared them to us in a cynical way. Misery loves company, and there's a party in the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment